Alar Laneman has been the Minister of the Interior of the Republic of Estonia since 18 November 2020. He is a member of the Conservative People’s Party of Estonia.
- In 2019-2020, he was a member of the XIV Riigikogu (Estonian Parliament) in the roles of vice-chairman of the fraction, chairman of the Security Authorities Surveillance Select Committee, and chairman of the Constitutional Committee.
- In 2011–2019, teacher at Sauga Basic School.
- In 2011–2020, advisor to Milrem Robotics.
- In 2011–2016, advisor to the Estonian Defence Industry Association.
- In 1991–2008, he worked for the Estonian Armed Forces: Commander of the Guard Company of the General Staff of the Defence Forces and staff officer since 1991; Commander of the Kalev Single Infantry Battalion in 1994–1995; Commander of the BALTBAT in 1995–1998; Chief of the Army Staff in 2001–2002; Chief of the General Staff of the Defence Forces in 2002–2007; Chief of Operations of the Defence Forces in 2008.
- In 1981–1991, Alar Laneman served in the Soviet Army.
- Education: Pärnu Koidula Secondary School (former 2nd Secondary School) 1980; Tallinn Higher Political Military School of the Construction Corps in 1985; Swedish Defence University (Försvarshögskolan, Stockholm) in 1999–2001; Royal College of Defence Studies, London in 2007.
Alar Laneman was born on 6 May 1962 in Vändra, and he is married. He has been a member of the Conservative People’s Party of Estonia since 2019.
Spheres managed by the Minister of the Interior: public order, internal security, identity management, border guard, citizenship, migration, crisis management, rescue services, emergency aid.
Agencies of the Minister’s administrative domain: Rescue Board, Alarm Centre, Police and Border Guard Board, Estonian Internal Security Service, Estonian Academy of Security Sciences, SMIT (IT and Development Centre at the Estonian Ministry of the Interior).