Access to data in the case of a legitimate interest
Natural and legal persons with a legitimate interest may access, by a reasoned request, information on the data entered in the population register regarding another person provided that the person in question has not restricted access to their personal data. The data are issued by:
- a county government, if the applicant requests data of the same nature regarding not more than 20 people at a time in the span of one month;
- Ministry of the Interior's IT and Development Centre (SMIT) (Mäealuse 2/2, 12618 Tallinn; e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 612 4444) in the remainder of cases.
The freely formulated request for access to data in the population register must contain the following information:
- if the applicant is a legal person, the name of the legal person and the given name and surname of the person authorised to receive the data;
- if the applicant is a natural person, the given name and surname and personal identification code;
- the justified purpose, time and manner of using the data;
- the composition and amount of the requested data;
- the method of access requested;
- a confirmation that the data received will only be used for the purpose, during the time and in the manner requested.
Access to the data may be refused if the applicant’s legitimate interest is considered insufficiently justified or if releasing the data may harm the interests of the person whose data is being requested. In such a case, the applicant may request that consent be asked from the person whose data is being requested or that the applicant’s details be forwarded to the person in question. If consent is granted, the requested data shall be released.
In order to gain access to data concerning more than one hundred people a year, a reasoned request must be submitted to the Ministry of the Interior, who will grant the consent to release the data only if this does not breach the inviolability of private life or endanger the security of the state.
If the release of data is not a single event, a data processing contract for gaining access to data in the population register is concluded as stipulated in § 19 of the Population Register Act. In order to conclude the contract, a reasoned request must be submitted to the Population Facts Department of the Ministry of the Interior either by post (Pikk 61, 10165 Tallinn) or by e mail (email@example.com; digital signature required).
Data release fees
Releasing data from the population register in the case of a legitimate interest is subject to fees according to Regulation No. 45 of the Minister of the Interior of 29 September 2015 "Authorisation of fees for the release of data from the population register in case of legitimate interest". When releasing up to 10,000 entries, the online or offline data service fee for releasing one entry is 0.20 euros. With a single data service (less than 50 entries, released manually), the fee for releasing one entry is 5 euros.
When a county government issues a certified extract or printout of the data entered in the population register in the case of a legitimate interest, the state fee is 5 euros per data regarding one person. The state fee is to be paid according to the procedure established in the section State fees for issuing documents.